Drunken Suitcase is on the prowl for wild-eyed, hot-blooded word slingers to join our ranks. Ours is a rugged dashing little rag-tag crew of dreamers and we’re poor, but we’ve got heart.
Do you feel like there is something boiling up inside? And that you’re on the cusp of doing something very good and worthwhile? We feel like that too sometimes. Take a deep breath, and show us what you got.
We are being optimistic because we like to try. If you do too, well then this may work.
Here are some things to be thinking about if you are interested in contributing:
1. Drunken Suitcase loves honesty in writing. Not in that it has to be non-fiction, more that the emotions and feelings should ring true. Feel high? Feel bad? Feel guilty? Feel happy? Feel hungover? Feel like you’re about to have an orgasm? Good, that’s what we wanna hear about. If it doesn’t feel real, it won’t be any fun. No need for sugar-coating, we’re sweet enough.
2. Don’t be overly concerned with being funny. The truth in the writing is what’s top priority for us, and if it’s reverberating honestly and with empathy, then people will get it and they’ll laugh.
3. You don’t have to be incredibly serious either, if you don’t want to be.
4. Drunken Suitcase is not all that concerned about lists and such. A lot of folks do these very well, and they are everywhere, and so they can just do them. That’s not to say that we aren’t open to things like that, we like little pithy short form things just as much as you do.”Bar Haiku,” “One Act Plays” and “Conversations With” are just a bit more up our alley.
5. We actually love longer stuff. Not Moby Dick long, but a bit longer. Yeah, I know, we’re crazy right? It’s internet suicide you say? Phooey!
6. We love Richard Brautigan. We think he’s tops! The Abortion is maybe our favorite book. We read it in the office, at the beginning of the day, just to get into the swing of things. You should read it too. You already have? Of course you have! Read it again. Trust us.
Here’s a photo of the office copy: